Twenty Savannah area residents are recipients of a 2014 Bishop Gartland Award for outstanding service to the Catholic Church in South Georgia.
Savannah Bishop Gregory J. Hartmayer conferred the Bishop Gartland Service Awards on a total of 82 South Georgia recipients at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Savannah on Sunday, November 23, the Feast of Christ the King. The Savannah area recipients are: Our Lady of Lourdes, Port Wentworth – Naomi Berliner – Shirley Ann Roberson St. Anne Catholic Church, Richmond Hill – Deacon Ray Moreau – Deacon Paul Gutting Blessed Sacrament, Savannah – Cynthia Cyr – Campbell King Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Savannah – Frank Hester – Sister John Moravec St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Church, Savannah – Brenda Boutin – Rose Marie Mascunana Sacred Heart, Savannah – Ed Fogarty – Jacquelyn Brayboy Stephens St. James the Less, Savannah – Linda Broderick – Thomas Mahoney Jr. St. Peter the Apostle, Savannah – Janet Hubbs – Robert “Bob” Zuccarini Resurrection of Our Lord, Savannah
Named for Francis X. Gartland, the first Bishop of Savannah, the award is given for distinguished service to the Catholic Church in South Georgia. The award was instituted in 2000 to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the Diocese of Savannah. Bishop Gartland, born in Dublin, Ireland in 1805, was named Bishop of the newly erected Diocese of Savannah in July 1850.
The Bishop Gartland Service Award is an honor bestowed by the Diocese of Savannah on persons who have given distinguished service to the Church in the tradition of its first bishop.
The gold and blue award pin combines elements of Bishop Gartland’s episcopal coat of arms with elements from the shield of the Diocese of Savannah. His motto, Vincit Veritas,” or “Truth conquers,” is inscribed on the pin.
The Catholic Diocese of Savannah includes 86 parishes, include missions, in 90 counties of South Georgia.