My Baby Was Injured During Birth. I Want Justice!

Giving birth to a child can be one of the most rewarding experiences in a mother’s life. However, unfortunately, if that procedure goes wrong, it can quickly become one of the most stressful experiences. So, every mother-to-be should learn about birth injuries. Birth injuries occur when new born babies sustain physical injuries before, during or immediately after birth. Nearly 7 out of every 1,000 infants born each year will suffer from a birth injury.

Birth injuries can have severe consequences on new born children. Babies with severe birth injuries, for example, can suffer from cerebral palsy, Erb’s Palsy, traumatic brain injuries, and fractured skulls or shoulders. Babies with birth injuries can also suffer from shoulder dystocia—when one of a large infant’s shoulders gets stuck behind the mother’s pelvic bone during the birthing process. Each of these conditions can result in lifelong physical and emotional damage to the baby.

In determining whether you have a case against a physician who caused a birth defect, your lawyer may consider whether your doctor failed to anticipate birth complications, failed to anticipate maternal health complications, unnecessarily delayed the mother’s C-section, misused forceps (a surgical instrument resembling tongs), misused a vacuum extractor or incorrectly administered drugs inducing birth. Medical science is a large factor in these cases. So, birth defect cases are complicated. To correctly prepare a birth defect case, your lawyer may hire a psychologist to document emotional damages, physician to explain appropriate medical standards, and vocational rehabilitation expert to show an infant’s future job limitations and reduced earning capacity. These individuals will likely be qualified as experts for settlement or trial depending on their credentials.

If you think that your child has sustained a birth injury, it is important that you take action. You should observe your infant closely for any strange behavior. You should consult your physician or pediatrician immediately. You should also consult a lawyer experienced in birth defect cases. For more information, call The Mance Law Group at 912.574.4LAW (4529).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.