Mr. John B. Clemmons, Sr. passed away on Wednesday, June 13, 2012.
Mr. Clemmons, celebrated his 100th birthday on April 11, 2012. He was a native of Rome, Georgia and was married to Mrs. Mozelle D. Clemmons. They are the parents of Sheila Clemmons of Savannah, Georgia and John B. Clemmons, Jr., MD, of Houston Texas.
Mr. Clemmons was a charter member of Alpha Mu Boule which was established January 28, 1963 and included members from Savannah and Augusta, Georgia. At the time of his death, he was a member of Alpha Lambda Boule, Savannah, Georgia and has served on the national executive board of Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity. He also served as a Trustee of the Boule Foundation.
Mr. Clemmons was a retired professor and former chairman of the department of mathematics, physics and computer science at Savannah State University. Prior to moving to Savannah in 1947, he was a high school principal for four years in Harlan, Kentucky and professor at Morehouse College, Kentucky State College, and the University of Southern California.
He earned a bachelor of science degree from Morehouse College and a Master of Science from Atlanta University. He did additional study at the University of Pittsburg, the University of Southern California, and the University of California, Los Angeles. His academic accomplishments also included the Ford Foundation Fellowship, 1952; University of Southern California Teaching Fellowship, 1953; and the National Science Faculty Fellowship, 1958.
Mr. Clemmons and his wife are well known for their civic and business accomplishments. They have received numerous awards, honors and citations for their tireless involvement in the community. In 2005, the Savannah Jaycees inducted Clemmons and his wife, Mozelle into the Savannah Business Hall of Fame. He was actively involved in the Boy Scouts and member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.
Since 1960, Mr. Clemmons was a Director of Carver State Bank, one of the nation’s oldest African- American owned commercial banks. He was chairman of the bank’s board of directors from 1990 until April 2012.