FYZICAL Savannah, a physical therapy, balance, dizziness and healthy lifestyle practice, will launch awareness initiative “Fight The Fall” surrounding the importance of reducing the risk of accidental falls among the community’s aging adult population.
On Saturday, Sept. 28, the Savannah FYZICAL team will mark National Falls Prevention Awareness Week by offering free fall risk assessments between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at their clinic, located at 322 Commercial Dr. They will host a second session on Saturday, Oct. 5 for anyone who cannot attend the Sept. date.
Both screening days will be free and open to the public, but it is necessary to call in advance to book an appointment.
As the nation gears up for Falls Prevention Awareness Week, the National Council on Aging and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the following key statistics:
• One in four adults over the age of 65 falls, and the risk of falling increases with age.
• Nearly all hip fractures are caused by falls, and 53 percent of adults discharged for a fall-related hip fracture will fall again within six months.
• Falls account for 40 percent of all nursing home admissions.
• Every 11 seconds, an aging adult is treated in the ER for a fall.
• Every 19 minutes, an aging adult dies from a fall.
• The financial toll for aging adult falls is expected to increase as the population ages and may reach $67.7 billion by 2020.
At FYZICAL, fall prevention is the cornerstone of their mission. The Safety Overhead System (SOS) is an overhead track and harness system which is another unique feature of FYZICAL. The SOS is designed to protect patients from falling during the rehabilitation process while giving them the confidence they need to break through their barriers, yet in a safe environment.
“Through our use of advanced technology, information and science, our mission is to educate our community, which includes the aging adult population in addition to their caregivers, on the importance of understanding the risks associated with falls,” said Dr. Bryan Bost, Physical Therapist and Clinical Director at FYZICAL Savannah. “We’re honored to provide the Savannah community with valuable information that has the potential to save lives.”
To learn more about FYZICAL Savannah, visit https:// www.fyzical.com/savannah or call 912-499-0836.