Eye injury is the leading cause of blindness in children in the United States. Each year millions of eye injuries occur. These usually happen at home and school, often during sports and hobby activities. However, 90 percent of these injuries could be prevented.
Since the 4th just passed, I want to make parents aware of some safety advice that could prevent potential eye injuries including blindness for them and especially for their children.
The best way to avoid a potentially blinding fireworks injury is to only allow those who have been professionally trained to handle the fireworks. Attending a professional public fireworks show rather than purchasing fireworks for home use is the safest. For the risk takers who insist “it will never happen to me,” at least follow these guidelines to make sure that you and others around you are not at risk for an eye injury. • Purchase fireworks only if it legal in your area • Kids should NEVER be allowed to handle fireworks (including the sparklers) • Safety goggles should be worn by the adult handling the fireworks and are also not a bad idea for those who are close by-standers
Keep a good distance from the site where the firework is activated (at least 500 ft away)
Do not touch unexploded fireworks; contact the local fire or police department for help If you are injured by fireworks, remember to:
Seek medical attention
If a liquid splashes into the eyes, rinse with cool water for 10-15 minutes
Do not rub or touch or apply pressure to your eyes
Do not remove any object that appears to be stuck in the eye
Do not apply any ointment or take any aspirin products prior to seeking medical attention
Using these safety tips could control your risk of having a sight-threatening eye condition occur on one of the most eventful holidays of the year.