Two Savannah Sites Awarded For Historic Preservation


The Lebanon Plantation, awarded for Excellence in Stewardship
The Lebanon Plantation, awarded for Excellence in Stewardship

The Philbrick Eastman House and the Morrison Family at Lebanon Plantation received statewide preservation awards from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation during its 39th annual Preservation Awards ceremony.

Excellence in Rehabilitation Award: Philbrick-Eastman House, 17 West McDonough Street, Savannah.

The Philbrick Eastman House received an award for Excellence in Rehabilitation. The Greek Revival style house was constructed in the 1840s on Chippewa Square. The building was extensively renovated over the years to create commercial space. The 2015 rehabilitation project retained elements of past alterations in order to accurately reflect the architectural evolution of the house, including an elevator from 1912, a steel vault from 1953, and the open floor plan of the 1950s stenographers’ pool. Additionally exterior stucco and decorative interior elements were repaired according to the highest preservation standards.

Excellence in Rehabilitation awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic

The Philbrick-Eastman House, awarded for Excellence in Rehabilitation
The Philbrick-Eastman House, awarded for Excellence in Rehabilitation
value. This year the Trust presented fourteen Excellence in Rehabilitation awards.

Excellence in Stewardship Award: Morrison Family for Lebanon Plantation, 5745 Ogeechee Road, Savannah

The Morrison Family received an award for Excellence in Stewardship for their longtime care and maintenance of Lebanon Plantation. Established in the late 18th century, Lebanon Plantation was abandoned after the Civil War until it was acquired in 1916 by Mills B. Lane, a Savannah banker who envisioned a location for agricultural experimentation. Currently owned by Lane’s grandson Howard Morrison, Jr. and his wife, Mary Reynolds Morrison, the third generation of the Lane-Morrison family to continuously own Lebanon, the property’s preservation and continual use reflect coastal Georgia’s unique agricultural and architectural history.

Excellence in Stewardship awards recognize those who have ensured the preservation of historic properties through longterm care and maintenance, stabilization, protection or continuous family ownership. This year the Trust presented two Stewardship awards.

To learn more about The Georgia Trust and the Preservation Awards, visit www.georgiatrust.org.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *