On last Tuesday, August 21, 2018, Savannah Fire Chief Charles G. Middleton recognized teen hero Taequan Mitchell for rescuing his 85-year-old neighbor from a burning home. Taequan was honored on the steps of his home at 902 Georgia Avenue.
Just before 10 p.m. Monday night Taequan’s mother and uncle noticed smoke streaming from the home of their elderly neighbor, Stephen Solomon, at 2238 Alaska St. They sent Taequan across the street to investigate. When Taequan realized that the air conditioning unit in Mr. Solomon’s bedroom window was on fire, he asked his mother to call the fire department and attempted to alert Solomon to the danger. However Mr. Solomon was asleep in the burning room. Taequan, a 17-year-old Savannah High School Student, entered the home, woke Mr. Solomon, pulled him from the house and waited with him until Savannah Fire arrived to extinguish the blaze.
Not only did Taequan exhibit exemplary bravery, he had the foresight to close the door of the burning room, which helped to prevent the fire and smoke from spreading throughout the structure. Savannah Fire arrived on scene within three minutes of receiving the call and quickly extinguished the blaze. Although Mr. Solomon will be displaced from the home until the power is restored, the fire was contained to the bedroom and no one was injured.
Savannah Fire would like to extend our sincere gratitude and appreciation for the selfless and life-saving actions of Taequan Mitchell.